Schreiner Wants Ford to Steal His Plans Again, This Time for Back to School

Tuesday marked exactly one week before the beginning of the school year. It’s a time when students, teachers, parents and school workers get themselves ready to start the next 10 months of learning on the right foot, but there’s presently a concern that the coming school year will actually be starting off on the wrong foot. The Green Party of Ontario’s leader is among them. Continue reading “Schreiner Wants Ford to Steal His Plans Again, This Time for Back to School”

Opposition Parties Want to Know About the Pandemic Plan for Fall

Across Ontario, new COVID-19 cases are as low as they’ve been since the pandemic started, and the vaccine rollout is proceeding at a quick clip with now the majority of Ontario fully vaccinated, but there are some lingering questions. Are we prepared for a potential resurgence of the virus in the fall? It’s a question all opposition parties are asking now that we’re just six weeks away from the start of the school year. Continue reading “Opposition Parties Want to Know About the Pandemic Plan for Fall”

Del Duca Tells Open Sources He Wants More Planning on Education (and Empathy)

Nearly a month after the Provincial government initiated a new round of lockdowns amid the third wave of COVID-19, there’s still no sign about when we might be able to start the process of re-opening. Liberal leader Steven Del Duca has some concerns about the way the pandemic response is currently being managed in Ontario, and he appeared on CFRU’s Open Sources Guelph last week to share them. Continue reading “Del Duca Tells Open Sources He Wants More Planning on Education (and Empathy)”

In Anti-Climactic Presser, Ford Announces No In-Person School Till September

It was the news everyone was expecting, and dreading, but on Wednesday afternoon, Premier Doug Ford and Minister of Education Stephen Lecce announced that Ontario’s school children will not be returning to classrooms until September. According to Ford, the growing number of variants and not enough vaccinated teachers and students makes the risks too high even though many in public health have said the opposite. Continue reading “In Anti-Climactic Presser, Ford Announces No In-Person School Till September”

Ontario Moves to Accelerate Second Doses, While Schools Left Waiting for News

The Government of Ontario is full-speed ahead on a “two dose summer” according to Premier Doug Ford in a Friday announcement from Queen’s Park. Starting on Monday, people over 80 will begin receiving their second doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, but progress on vaccines seems to have come at the expense of progress on re-opening schools as the week ends with no announcement on education. Continue reading “Ontario Moves to Accelerate Second Doses, While Schools Left Waiting for News”

No In-Person School Post-April Break, Says Ontario Government

Despite progress on vaccine distribution, the Government of Ontario announced Monday afternoon that schools will not being returning to in-person learning after April Break. Premier Doug Ford, Minister of Education Stephen Lecce, and Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams made the call even though barely 24 hours ago they were talking about the opposite. Continue reading “No In-Person School Post-April Break, Says Ontario Government”

Guelph Schools Stop In-person Learning as Local Infection Rate Doubles

It was the news nobody wanted to hear on an Easter Monday, everyone was going back to school on Tuesday to stay home again on Wednesday. On Monday night, the two local school boards and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health all announced their intention to cease in-person learning after Tuesday, for two weeks, as the province struggles with a rapid increase in new COVID cases from the third wave. Continue reading “Guelph Schools Stop In-person Learning as Local Infection Rate Doubles”

Del Duca Makes Campaign Stop to Tell Ford to Stop Campaigning

Ontario Liberal leader Steven Del Duca took centre stage across the road from Victory Public School. He was back in Guelph for one reason on Tuesday morning: to mark sure everyone in Ontario knows that he thinks Doug Ford is doing a bad job managing the pandemic, and that a new Liberal government elected after next year’s Provincial campaign will make some changes. Continue reading “Del Duca Makes Campaign Stop to Tell Ford to Stop Campaigning”

Upper Grand School Board to Demand More Clarity About Province’s School Re-Opening Plan

There are too many unanswered questions, no idea about how to increase safety precautions, and decisions about re-opening schools are happening in such a way that parents, teachers and school administrators can’t do any long-term planning. The Upper Grand District School Board heard again on Tuesday night that Ontario needs more action and less reaction, and they’re going to take that fight to the Government of Ontario. Continue reading “Upper Grand School Board to Demand More Clarity About Province’s School Re-Opening Plan”

No In-Person Classes for Guelph Schools Till February 1

One month ago this past Monday marked the last time that most students in Guelph stepped foot inside their schools and classrooms, at least the ones that were physically going to school in the first place. On Wednesday, it was announced that January will end without kids going back to school as Public Health has extended the order for mandatory virtual learning for another week as the case count slowly declines. Continue reading “No In-Person Classes for Guelph Schools Till February 1”