In Anti-Climactic Presser, Ford Announces No In-Person School Till September

It was the news everyone was expecting, and dreading, but on Wednesday afternoon, Premier Doug Ford and Minister of Education Stephen Lecce announced that Ontario’s school children will not be returning to classrooms until September. According to Ford, the growing number of variants and not enough vaccinated teachers and students makes the risks too high even though many in public health have said the opposite. Continue reading “In Anti-Climactic Presser, Ford Announces No In-Person School Till September”

No In-Person School Post-April Break, Says Ontario Government

Despite progress on vaccine distribution, the Government of Ontario announced Monday afternoon that schools will not being returning to in-person learning after April Break. Premier Doug Ford, Minister of Education Stephen Lecce, and Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams made the call even though barely 24 hours ago they were talking about the opposite. Continue reading “No In-Person School Post-April Break, Says Ontario Government”

March Break is Actually Going to be April Break This Year

Ontario school students and their parents will likely remember last year’s March Break as the last time that there was in-person learning until this past September. The pandemic hit our shores on the same week as March Break in 2020, and with school only recently going back to in-person learning here in Ontario, the Minister of Education has decided that March Break will happen, just happen a month later. Continue reading “March Break is Actually Going to be April Break This Year”

Schools Closed Till January 25 By New Provincial Order

This coming Monday was supposed to be back to school day for all but post-secondary school students in southern Ontario, but the rising case numbers have been making both parents and educators thinking twice about going back to in-person classes so soon. On Thursday, Premier Doug Ford publicly agreed that it might be too  much of a risk to send thousands of students back to school right now. Continue reading “Schools Closed Till January 25 By New Provincial Order”

Ontario Government Releases Plan to Re-Open Schools in the Fall

The school year is almost over, but the planning for next year is now a less opaque thanks to an announcement from Queen’s Park on Friday. Education Minister Stephen Lecce took part in Friday’s press conference where the Government of Ontario laid out how the province’s schools will operate in the fall, and it will have to be multiple choice as school boards must prepare three different plans in case of the circumstances. Continue reading “Ontario Government Releases Plan to Re-Open Schools in the Fall”

Ontario Schools Now Officially Out for Summer, While Commission Coming for LTC

The last time that Ontario students stepped foot inside their classrooms was the day before March Break, and Tuesday it was revealed that they won’t be going back until after Labour Day. The fate of the school year is one of a couple of new announcements from Queen’s Park today, along with updates to the emergency orders, and the announcement that the Provincial government will be looking into what happened in long term care homes. Continue reading “Ontario Schools Now Officially Out for Summer, While Commission Coming for LTC”

Ontario Government Announces Schools and Parks will Remain Closed till 2019

As some jurisdictions in Canada look to re-open society from the COVID-19 quarantine lockdown, it seems like Ontario is looking to keep some aspects buttoned up for at least another month. The Government of Ontario announced this weekend that provincial parks, and all of Ontario’s public schools will be closed until May 31. Continue reading “Ontario Government Announces Schools and Parks will Remain Closed till 2019”

A Year of Labour Strife Concludes with a Deal for OSSTF

Nearly eight months after their contract expired, and after who knows how many lost hours in the classroom due to rotating strikes, the Ontario government has closed its fourth and final deal with the teachers’ unions. With a month’s time, a year of labour strife at Ontario’s schools has come to an end with a tentative deal with the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF). Continue reading “A Year of Labour Strife Concludes with a Deal for OSSTF”

Then There Was One: AEFO Reaches a Deal with the Ontario Government

It turns out that the global pandemic has become great news for the Ontario government looking to end a school year of labour strife with workers and teachers. The Ministry of Education has secured a tentative deal with the Association des enseignantes et des enseignants franco-ontariens (AEFO), which is the third of four teachers’ unions to end their job action with a new contract. Continue reading “Then There Was One: AEFO Reaches a Deal with the Ontario Government”

Ontario Schools Will Stay Closed Till May

The Ontario government has made the not unexpected move to keep schools across the province closed for another month. Along with this decision, the Ministry of Education has also announced new plans for how Ontario’s students can continue their learning while at home, but there might still be issues in terms of the available resources. Continue reading “Ontario Schools Will Stay Closed Till May”