Ford Warns of “Unthinkable Consequences” as Ontario Declares New State of Emergency

Premier Doug Ford has raised the alarm in the last few days that the new modelling of COVID-19 cases was going to make people “fall out of their chair” when they saw it. Tuesday was the day that Ford not only released the new modelling, but the new provincial restrictions based on that modelling, and the Premier said that there are “unthinkable consequences” coming if we don’t change course. Continue reading “Ford Warns of “Unthinkable Consequences” as Ontario Declares New State of Emergency”

Schools Closed Till January 25 By New Provincial Order

This coming Monday was supposed to be back to school day for all but post-secondary school students in southern Ontario, but the rising case numbers have been making both parents and educators thinking twice about going back to in-person classes so soon. On Thursday, Premier Doug Ford publicly agreed that it might be too¬† much of a risk to send thousands of students back to school right now. Continue reading “Schools Closed Till January 25 By New Provincial Order”

City and Province Release Advice for COVID Christmas Celebrations and Shopping

The Christmas season is approaching, but given current events people are going to have to concede that they won’t be able to celebrate the season in a way that’s normal or traditional. On Wednesday, the Government of Ontario outlined its best advice for how people should spend the holidays, while the City of Guelph also announced some measures on how they will work locally to make sure everyone has a safe and COVID-free holiday. Continue reading “City and Province Release Advice for COVID Christmas Celebrations and Shopping”

Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Moves Up the Ladder to Orange

The Government of Ontario’s been the subject of a number of criticism lately for their Keeping Ontario Safe and Open framework, but the problems with that policy are being compounded by the problem of increasing COVID-19 cases. On Friday, the Premier and his cabinet tried to address some of those issues, and also announced some changes to the colour conditions in a number of areas, including our own. Continue reading “Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Moves Up the Ladder to Orange”

Media Report Says Ontario Gov Rejected Public Health Advice on New Colour System

The colour-coded COVID-19 control system has been the subject of controversy and conversation since the moment it was released last week. But that controversy has gone up to a whole new level with a new media report that says while the plan was made in consultation with public health workers, it did not reflect their best advise on slowing the spread. Continue reading “Media Report Says Ontario Gov Rejected Public Health Advice on New Colour System”

Ontario Government Moves to Scrap Ranked Ballots for 2022

We’re in the middle of a global pandemic, local economies teeter on the brink, and there are sweeping demands for social justice reforms, so naturally, the Ontario government has decided that now is not the time for change. If you were hoping that Guelph, or other Ontario municipalities, might be able to vote with Single-Transferable Vote (STV), or Ranked Ballots, in the 2022 municipal elections, get a new hope. Continue reading “Ontario Government Moves to Scrap Ranked Ballots for 2022”

Former Premier Kathleen Wynne Won’t Seek Re-election in 2022

In news that’s probably not a surprise to anyone in provincial politics, but former Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne revealed in a new interview that she will not seek re-election in 2022. After shirking the traditional quite resignation following the overwhelming defeat of her party in 2018, Wynne stayed on as one of seven Liberal MPPs, but her political career will soon officially come to an end. Continue reading “Former Premier Kathleen Wynne Won’t Seek Re-election in 2022”

York Region Joins Other Areas Back in Stage 2

In what’s become a regular Friday occurrence for the last month, the end of the week came with an adjustment to the re-opening guidelines as the Government of Ontario tries again to slow the spread of COVID-19. This week, York Region joins Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa in Stage 2 as Ontario continues to deal with hundreds of new cases of the virus every day in a growing number of hot spots. Continue reading “York Region Joins Other Areas Back in Stage 2”

New Guidelines from Public Health to Battle Growing Outbreak Concerns

For the third time in three weeks, the Ontario government started the weekend with changes to public gatherings meant to stop the continuing spread of COVID-19 in the province. On the same day that Ontario set a new record for new daily cases, Premier Doug Ford and Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams offered new public health measures, but the health official in Ontario’s biggest hotspot was unimpressed with the changes. Continue reading “New Guidelines from Public Health to Battle Growing Outbreak Concerns”

Ford Still Fighting to Stop Release of Mandate Letters

The Progressive Conservatives were elected by Ontarians over two years, which puts us more than halfway through their mandate. Things have changed a lot in those last two years, but the one thing that hasn’t changed is that the PC government under Premier Doug Ford doesn’t want you to see the mandate letters issued back in June 2018. Continue reading “Ford Still Fighting to Stop Release of Mandate Letters”