How’s you’re internet? As of Friday evening, reports starting coming in that some people were able to get reports again, and that news was that phone, TV, and internet for some Rogers customers had been restored. In the hustle and bustle to get Canada back online, there’s still no word on what went wrong, but the effects – both local and national – will likely be felt for days to come.
With internet restored, some City services started sending out word about how the internet blackout is still affecting them. “The Guelph Police Service is aware of the ongoing phone network issues disrupting service throughout the City of Guelph. We hope that the service interruption is resolved as soon as possible,” said a media release from the Guelph Police Service.
Guelph Police are asking people to use the new number they set up for non-emergencies and administrative inquiries, which is 519-829-4460. Obviously, you can still use 9-1-1 if it’s an emergency.
Friday is usually the day that the amended agendas for next week’s city council meetings are released, as well as the information reports to council. An email sent to local media from the clerks office Friday evening said that the internet outage prevented staff from taking delegation requests and correspondences, and so they were unable to publish the amended council agenda.
“As a result, there will be no requirement for delegates to register in advance for any of next week’s meetings,” said Dylan McMahon in the email. “All delegates will be able to appear in person, over the phone, or via video without registering. Any member of the public wishing to speak to City Council regarding any item on these agendas will be able to do so by going to Council Chambers in person, calling 519-822-1260 x5603, or emailing clerks [at] guelph.ca during the meeting.
McMahon also said that the clerks’ office will produce the revised agendas once service is fully restored, and will be provided to the public as soon as possible. The release of the information reports was also cancelled.
Rogers CEO Tony Staffieri posted a message on the Rogers website on Friday night apologizing for the outage and explaining what the company was doing to fix it. The root causes of the outage though are still a mystery, at least to the general public.
“We have made meaningful progress towards bringing our networks back online and many of our wireless customers are starting to see services return. We don’t yet have an ETA on when our networks will be fully restored but we will continue to share information with our customers as we restore full service.” said Staffieri.
From everyday debit transactions to business communications, an unknown number of people, places, and events have been affected by the outage, which seemed to start impacting area connections here around 4:30 or 5 am. A tour appearance by the Weeknd was postponed in Toronto, the appearance of fashion model Peter Nygard in a Montreal court was also postponed, and payment methods at the Calgary Stampede were affected.
In his statement, Staffieri promised to get to the root problem and that Rogers would “proactively” apply a credit to all customers affected with details being announced in the days to come.
Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry François-Philippe Champagne posted on social media that he had spoken to the heads of Rogers, Bell and Telus to talk about finding a solution, and how they’re working to find a way to make sure this doesn’t happen again. “This unacceptable situation is why quality, diversity & reliability are key to our telecom network,” Champagne said.