Twice-monthly, Guelph Politico posts the latest inspection results from the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health Unit inspection of local restaurants, hotels, cafes, grocery stores and other businesses that handle food. We call it “Mangez!”, and this column highlights the latest inspections done by WDGPH, and the results they’ve posted.
Here are the inspections done between January 16-31 according to the “Check Before You Choose” website.
*No infractions found
Al’s Sandwiches, 42 Cork St E
Dairy Queen, 9-995 Paisley Rd
Food Basics, 3 Clair Rd W
Freshii, 1-84 Clair Rd E
Home Depot-Subway, 63 Woodlawn Rd W
Meltwich Food, 96 Gordon St
Mucho Burrito, B8-492 Edinburgh Rd S
Platters Catering & Events, 3 Watson Rd S
Subway, 5 Clair Rd W
Trotters, 42 Cork Street E
Wendy’s, 415 Woodlawn Rd W
Zinger Chick, 18-500 Willow Road
*Non-critical infraction: An infraction (violation) that is not likely to lead to food-borne illness or infection (e.g., lighting is not bright enough for food preparation or work areas).
A & W Restaurant, 435 Stone Rd W (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Cleaning required around, under, and behind kitchen equipment, counters, and baseboards
Black Box Vending, 130 Woodland Glen Dr (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Provide an easily readable, accurate indicating thermometer to check food storage temperatures
Fionn MacCool’s, 494 Edinburgh Rd S (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Prepare and maintain sanitizing solutions according to manufacturer’s instructions
The Works Gourmet Burger Bistro, 97 Wyndham St N (1 Non-Critical Infraction)
- Ensure floors are kept clean and in good repair; Ensure floors, walls, and ceilings are tight, smooth, and non-absorbent
*Critical infraction: A violation found during an inspection that could be a health hazard.
China Express, 10A-362 Speedvale Ave E (1 Critical)
- Store all toxic / poisonous substances in container bearing identifying label Corrected During Inspection
Galt Juice Company, 122 Wyndham St N (1 Critical)
- Provide hot and cold running water under pressure in areas where food is processed, prepared or manufactured
Pho Saigon Restaurant, 2-240 Silvercreek Pkwy (1 Critical)
- Cover all food in storage Corrected During Inspection
Town & Country Restaurant, 683 Eramosa Rd (1 Critical, 5 Non-Critical)
- Critical: Adjust or repair the refrigeration unit immediately. Do not store any hazardous foods in the unit until it is able to maintain hazardous foods at 4°C (40°F) or less
- Non-critical: Ensure all hazardous foods are stored at 4°C (40°F) or less
- Non-critical: Provide an easily readable, accurate indicating thermometer to check food storage temperatures; Ensure equipment / utensil(s) / dishware are corrosion-resistant and non-toxic; Provide multi-service food containers that are constructed of food grade materials; Ensure equipment / utensil(s) / dishware are readily cleanable and in good repair
- Non-critical: Ensure all surfaces are clean and maintained in good repair; Ensure all surfaces are easily cleanable and non-absorbent
- Non-critical: Ensure a sanitizing test kit is provided and used to verify the concentration of the sanitizing agent; Bleach and water solution must be prepared no less than once a day, or as often as necessary to maintain the required concentration; Wash, rinse and sanitize equipment / utensils after each use or as often as necessary
- Non-critical: Remove all materials not associated with the daily operation of food premises; Daily housekeeping practices must be improved
Curious about the restaurant or establishment you’re going to, check out “Check Before You Choose” before you head out the door.