LIVE BLOG: City Council Meeting for November 28, 2016

Tonight’s council meeting brings to end two major storylines of the fall: the 75 Dublin St development and the Council response to Nestle’s Permit to Take Water renewal. You can click here for the amended agenda from City Hall, and you can click here to read Politico’s preview of tonight’s meeting. For the complete blow-by-blow of tonight’s council meeting, you can follow me on Twitter, or follow along below via Storify.

Guelph City Council Meeting – November 28, 2016

Live blog from the meeting starting at 6:30 pm

  1. Delegations. On water there are 10, plus 3 correspondences.
  2. On 75 Dublin there are 32 delegations and 53 correspondences.
  3. There will be another delegation for the Engineering Manual too.
  4. 2 items from closed meeting: Update on Dev’t of Brant Comm. Hub & Dolime Quarry – Mediation Process Update. Direction given 2 staff on both
  5. Going to be a long night tonight at #Guelph council with 45+ delegations on 75 Dublin and Guelph's submission to Ont gov about water-taking! https://t.co/VA91S8BRVk

    Going to be a long night tonight at #Guelph council with 45+ delegations on 75 Dublin and Guelph’s submission to Ont gov about water-taking! pic.twitter.com/VA91S8BRVk
  6. Guthrie introduces Guelph’s new First Nations Acknowledgment.
  7. Canada has entered into a period of reconciliation, says Guthrie. Thru this territorial acknowledgement, Guelph is expressing its commitment
  8. The beginning of the journey in Guelph, says Guthrie. Recognizing the contributions of Canada’s Indigenous ppl.
  9. “As we gather, we are reminded that Guelph is situation on treaty land…” opening of the First Nations Acknowledgement.
  10. MacKinnon will not engage with discussion on living wage as a business owner that supports it.
  11. First up, presentation of Access Awareness Recognition Awards – Guelph Barrier Free Committee
  12. Next will be Mayoral presentation of certificates to Guelph athletes who competed in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio
  13. Good work @cityofguelph following through on developing and reading official city First Nation land acknowledgment. https://t.co/UeolbxbpBT

    Good work @cityofguelph following through on developing and reading official city First Nation land acknowledgment. pic.twitter.com/UeolbxbpBT
  14. .@adamadonaldson .@cityofguelph .@GuelphMatters Guelph Council chamber applauds the first First Nations acknowledgement by City Council. https://t.co/ayNO8MYIE7

    .@adamadonaldson .@cityofguelph .@GuelphMatters Guelph Council chamber applauds the first First Nations acknowledgement by City Council. pic.twitter.com/ayNO8MYIE7
  15. There ppl on the stairs and in the entrance of council chambers. If you’re reading this, and in chambers, make some room. I see empty seats
  16. Watching the access awareness recognition awards great job Guelph barrier Free Committee. #guelphproud https://t.co/zfZwiOi9iu

    Watching the access awareness recognition awards great job Guelph barrier Free Committee.
    #guelphproud pic.twitter.com/zfZwiOi9iu
  17. That’s all for the Access Awareness Recognition Awards. Next is certificates to #Guelph Olympians.
  18. Triathlete Andrew York is one of several #guelph based Olympians being honoured tonight at city… https://t.co/ciguPG0xPX

    Triathlete Andrew York is one of several #guelph based Olympians being honoured tonight at city…  https://www.instagram.com/p/BNX36J5FeOK/ 
  19. Taking a couple of minutes from people to shuffle out, and open up some seats.
  20. Basically, the special guests and award winners were taking up half the seats, so lots of places to sit now.
  21. Cllr Gordon moves the minutes from previous meetings. Passes unanimously.
  22. Council moves to deal with Living wage campaign first. Guthrie calls the vote and it passes 11-0-1.
  23. Only item to be pulled from the consent agenda is about next year’s meeting schedule.
  24. Hofland asked to pull the sked b/c of June meeting move to Tues for FCM meeting.
  25. Been a past practice to move June meet to Tues b/c of travel troubles. Clerk says shouldn’t be an issue.
  26. March, May Cot-Whole also start at 6 instead of 2, why?
    Clerk: Probably conflicts with other board meeting, etc.
  27. Clerk: Jan is to address the gap btw IDE or Governance issues. Need to insure issues are still coming forward.
  28. The March, May Committee of the Whole start times a typo; June 5 meeting will move to Jun 6 for FCM
  29. Items for Discussion: Engineering Manual, Water-Taking, 75 Dublin.
  30. First up: Laura Murr, on the Engineering Manual.
  31. Murr has concerns because current plan doesn’t separate major and minor collector roads, the manual does.
  32. Need a Transportation plan update, haven’t had one since 2005, Murr says.
  33. Hofland asks Murr about developers paying from traffic calming. Is that best practices?
  34. Murr says it’s just common sense to help create walkable community. Westminster woods did it to pay for roundabout.
  35. Salisbury compliments Murr for “drilling down” on complex document. Can staff address concerns?
  36. Staff: It’s a continuous improvement exorcise, and it will be update in an ongoing way.
  37. Concerns about arterials will be addressed in transportation update in 2017.
  38. Guthrie gets confirmation that the Transport Master Plan will come for delegation in 2017. It will.
  39. Now water-taking. 10 delegations, 5 minutes each.
  40. ASR concerned that local Indigenous people were not considered in this report. Also objects to comparing Nestle to the N-word.
  41. ASR thinks there were no specifics offered on community consultation plus avoidance of Nestle since they’re “a big part of the conversation”
  42. Ashley Wallis from Environmental Defence up next.
  43. Wallis: Ontario has bottled water problem, take water for $3.71/million L and see back to us at huge mark-up.
  44. Wallis believes this is the time to deal with plastic pollution.
  45. $338 million, the amount of money made by bottled water industry in Canada annually, says Wallis.
  46. Blue bin fails to capture the plastic bottles, Ontario one of 2 provinces without deposit on plastic bottles, says Wallis.
  47. Wallis adds she’s not from Guelph, but she is human.
  48. East says Nestle is involved in many disputes around the world, incl Guelph. Described as litigious and predatory, he says.
  49. East concerned about Nestle hydrologists and assurances that there’s no concerns. Calls it “blind faith” in the research presented.
  50. East says #Guelph should prepare to get their water from Lake Erie if Nestle is allowed to continue.
  51. Applause for East, as Robert Case takes the podium next. Guthrie reminds the crowd no clapping.
  52. Case is here as an individual, though he is a member of @wwaterwatchers too. Thanks staff for work and hopes council will move package.
  53. Next up is @MikeSchreiner, who begins by thanking everyone for taking part in public consultation.
  54. Schreiner says council and staff should be commended for hold special meet, and listening to the public in this cynical era.
  55. Schreiner also hopes for unanimous vote to send strong message to province.
  56. Salisbury asks Schreiner about feedback he’s getting door-to-door.
  57. Schreiner says 100% awareness, and 95% support for council to protect water.
  58. MacIntosh underlines the word “finite” in “finite resource”
  59. MacIntosh: Seeing more and more demonstrations around the planet of resources running out. California to Bolivia.
  60. Plastic takes a long time to break down, ends up in the ecosystem and food chain. A theme hit a lot tonight in delegations.
  61. Next up is Jennifer Kerr and Sam Gordon, both of Nestle Waters.
  62. Kerr, director of corporate affairs, actually agrees with previous delegate Ashley Wallis.
  63. Kerr says Nestle has much more robust monitoring program than competitors.
  64. Kerr says she saw a lot of false info in media and social media. Wants to set record straight.
  65. For instance, Aberfoyle water stays mostly in Ontario, and their bottles are mostly recyclable.
  66. Also didn’t like personal attacks on people working at Nestle and drink bottled water.
  67. Kerr says staff recommendations are based on science = good.
  68. “We need to take a holistic approach to water sustainability in Ontario,” and not just focus on one company, says Kerr.
  69. Cllr Allt asks about examples he’s been given where #Guelph water ends up in Mexico. Kerr says 100% of local water stays in Canada.
  70. Allt asks if wholesalers might be shipping it out of Canada. Kerr says that’s outside her knowledge.
  71. Kerr says bottled water is .6 per cent, would like all water users looked at. Staff recommendation too narrow.
  72. Next: Sam Gordon from Nestle. He’s a factory manager working at Nestle for 17 years.
  73. Nestle employees live, work, volunteer, and spend money in Guelph, says Gordon.
  74. Division btw Nestle and the public has gotten vicious in the last couple of weeks, Gordon says.
  75. Nestle never claimed to replace tap water, Gordon adds, its just a healthy alternative “on the go.”
  76. Last delegate on water-taking: perennial council delegate Hugh Whiteley.
  77. Whiteley says pipeline has been “raised as a spectre”, but its on the back burner for the next 40 years b/c Reg of Waterloo has adequate
  78. “Water-shed” not mentioned in framework, the balance provision is out of date, says Whiteley.
  79. Economy functions because of the environment, says Whiteley. There is no balance.
  80. Some laughs was Allt confuses Whiteley with Wheatley (his dentist)
  81. Whiteley notes that new census numbers are coming out in the next few months, and imagines that #Guelph will stay below pop. projections
  82. No more Qs for Whiteley. Council will now discuss the staff recommendation. 7 points.
  83. MacKinnon and Gordon move all 7 recommendations, they both have an amendment though.
  84. MacKinnon’s got a grammar point in #6: promote reduction of waste, *and encourage* recycling and reuse within the Guelph.
  85. Gordon proposes Recommendation #8 that City recommend to province consultation with 1st Nations communities impacted.
  86. Allt second Recommendation #8. Says it believes it gives substance for something that could be “words at a start of the meeting”
  87. “This is how I want it done on budget night, all written out,” says Guthrie.
  88. DCAO Stewart says staff’s got no issues with this.
  89. Gibson notes that “full consultation” is loaded. Does it imply that full consultation wouldn’t occur?
  90. Intergovernmental says this can be read as “gentle reminder” to province to follow their protocols.
  91. Intergovernmental affairs notes that community also encouraging the province to consult First Nations.
  92. Staff currently finessing the wording of the new point #8.
  93. Gordon offers that the word “appropriate” could replace “full” in the motion. Wettstein likes that better.
  94. MacKinnon wants to clarify why he’s voting now. Wants to look at what’s being addressed as opposed to why they’re addressing it…
  95. …Has faith that Province knows how to conduct process and who to talk to.
  96. Salisbury says that his understanding of motion is to relate to higher level of gov what is important to this community…
  97. …We have no authority, and it may be a moot point, but it comes back to the intent of the motion to reflect will of #guelph.
  98. Guthrie: “There’s our first water joke of the night.”
    Salisbury: “And there’s more coming down the pipe”
  99. Alter #3.3: “community or public water needs are a recognized priority” to “community or public water needs are the recognized priority”
  100. DCAO Stewart reminds public to submit their own comments to the province as well.
  101. DCAO Stewart says it’s never a good idea to massage changes on the fly. Staff has chosen their words “wisely”
  102. Allt says change is important b/c sustainability is imperative, doesn’t preclude agriculture et al. Everything depends on sustainable water
  103. Wettstein not comfortable with 11 non-scientists playing around with the grammar of “a” and “the”
  104. Gordon says the point could be made that “corporate water taking” is a priority with the “a” reading.
  105. Vote on changing “a” to “the” fails. Bell, Billings, Gibson, MacKinnnon, Van Hellemond, and Wettstein vote against.
  106. Downer would like to see the companies take on more responsibility for promoting recycling.
  107. Downer also recommends looking at the deposit issue.
  108. Just a reminder that there are still 32 people waiting to speak on 75 Dublin.
  109. Allt says he hopes at some point we rediscover deposits on all plastic containers. Onus is not just on water, but gotta start somewhere.
  110. Wettstein says he’d have no problem with the motion if it was for *all* plastic bottles.
  111. Downer says we’re responding to the water issue right now though, if province takes it beyond, OK.
  112. Wettstein the issue is beyond this one permit, it’s about water taking
  113. Guthrie suggests a tag that adds Downer’s motion could be taken further. Best of both worlds?
  114. Gibson says it’s a good motion, but it assumes that the industry contribution to blue box program insufficient. Doesn’t have that data.
  115. DCAO Stewart refers to a line in the report that already says what Downer’s trying to get it, may want to emphasize it more though.
  116. Downer says her motion speaks to doing better. 30% presently goes to landfills.
  117. Salisbury says he was blown away by how many Nestle bottles ended up in the solid waste stream. That and Tim Hortons cups.
  118. Issue of this product in our recycling stream is profound, says Salisbury. Otherwise, he wouldn’t support.
  119. Guthrie says he’s going to support this measure, and element of the deeper issue he says.
  120. Guthrie says in ’09 Nestle offered to pay for public recycling – bins, promo – in PQ saw increase from 70 to 85, but #Guelph didn’t accept.
  121. Guthrie’s not sure what happened to that program.
  122. Downer amendment passes. Only MacKinnon and Wettstein vote against.
  123. Billings points out that Guelph itself is a large water user, asks staff to add something about municipalities saying exempt from new fees.
  124. DCAO Stewart not sure there’s a need for it. Point #2 meant for large water users not municipalities. Thinks its clear already
  125. “large water users, excluding municipalities” the amendment. Passes 12-0
  126. Guthrie asks about Whiteley presentation about regard for economic development and sustainability balance.
  127. Stewart says its about choosing words wisely.
    “That’s all I need,” says Guthrie.
  128. Salisbury/Allt move “a balance between economic opportunities and environmental sustainability” change balance to “regard for both”
  129. Wettstein says it takes balance out of the equation. Is going with staff on this.
  130. Amendment fails: Allt, Bell, Downer, Gordon, Guthrie, Salisbury vote in favour.
  131. So back to the final vote. All eight now recommendations.
  132. Gibson glad to move away from value judgment, and making decisions based on evidence.
  133. Allt thanks Gordon for stewarding this through, and doing this in best interest of community, country and world.
  134. Guthrie says this council and staff take water issues seriously. There were tense moments, but he hopes it doesn’t go unnoticed the outreach
  135. Guthrie also glad council didn’t fast track the issue, and waited for the staff report.
  136. Guthrie wants ppl feeling ostracized to know they’re comments were heard.
  137. Guthrie says these issues would have come forward anyway. There’s a process, and important to know this will happen again.
  138. 75 Dublin up next. 32 delegations. Break till 9:45!
  139. First up, presentation from Stacey Laughlin, Senior Policy Planner
  140. Staff is recommending that the five-story plan be turned down and the four-story plan move forward.
  141. Staff says this design should reduce the shadow impact. Many delegates tonight will disagree. https://t.co/QE10ORki4R

    Staff says this design should reduce the shadow impact. Many delegates tonight will disagree. pic.twitter.com/QE10ORki4R
  142. “The minimal shadow impact is not adverse” says staff.
  143. So you can plan your night, there’s still 1 staff speech after this, then the delegates. If all 32 speak at 5 min ea. We’re here till 1am.
  144. All these examples staff are giving are admittedly not accurate, merely meant as a representation.
  145. @kylemackie Their using St Agnes and the north elevations as comparison.
  146. MacKinnon asking if Heritage has provided any feedback since this new report was gathered.
    Laughlin: Nope, wasn’t time.
  147. Downer asks if any concern about shadow impacts on St Agnes
    Staff: Nope, St Agnes not part of heritage concern, Basilica was looked at
  148. No 2nd staff presentation, so we’re off to delegations.
  149. Guthrie looking at simple math. We’re looking at 12:30, and while they would never say don’t speak, he does like the word ditto.
  150. Claudia Durbin and friend Elizabeth are the 1st delegation. They’re Central students in Grade 6.
  151. They don’t council to hurt their eduction (aw) the development means more cars on road, more traffic, more distractions.
  152. Also concerned about 75 Dublin pulling a Mr Burns. They’ve got solar panels on their school.
  153. Guthrie encourages the girls to come to council anytime, and now they’re free to go to bed.
  154. Folkl is getting emotional finishing her presentation. Asks council to consider land swap for more green space.
  155. “Our design and engineering team have listened carefully to the concerns” about the project, says Lammer.
  156. Lammer says his project will increase city revenue from $3K to $100K. They will never reach consensus on design.
  157. The project though is viable, the question is will council proceed?
  158. “Suggestions that pockets are being lined” or that upper levels of gov are being naive are false, says Lammer
  159. Without fifth floor, the affordable aspect of the project will not be viable, he adds.
  160. “I’m not coming into this neighbourhood, I already live there,” says Lammer, who adds his track record speaks for itself.
  161. Billings asks for comment on the process of affordable housing.
  162. There’s a 20 year minimum and a 5 year phase out. The period of affordability could be longer.
  163. Billings gets Lammer to be clear: 4 storeys means no affordable housing.
  164. Allt gets clarity that Lammer isn’t looking for a 4 storey tower w/o affordable housing, wants the 5 story with
  165. Lammer says this is a rare project for him to do mixed use, usually one of the other.
  166. Bell phrases the fifth storey as a “partial” storey.
    Lammer says he’s not intending to hold that hostage.
  167. Van Hellemond asks how many units on 5th storey. 5600 sq feet sellable space available, haven’t done plating yet.
  168. Next up, Owen Scott with the Heritage Impact Assessment and the Visual Impact.
  169. There’s a serious of potentially adverse heritage impacts, says Scott.
  170. James Fryett up next, he will also talk to the shadow analysis.
  171. Shadow analysis looks are present shadows, plus topographical and surveying information, and architectural 3D model. Fryett says its correct
  172. The equinox will have 5% impact Fryett says. Points out that in December, it’s usually overcast anyway.
  173. Next up is Astrid Clos, the planning consultant.
  174. Clos re-vistiing the city’s own words about affordable housing. Seniors most in need, and City has shortfall of single-bedroom units.
  175. Clos now going over all the ways the development has addressed city concerns and standards.
  176. Clos’ opinion is that the development she’s speaking in favour of meets all the city’s tests.
  177. Snider is a lawyer, council to Ryker Holdings. Everyone supports afford. housing in principal, the only way to get more is approve it
  178. The only person who doesn’t have a voice here are the seniors and poor who will live here, says Snider.
  179. Snider says that council can be that voice, but staff put no wait into the idea that this is 20 affordable units.
  180. Snider isn’t here to say “affordable housing at any cost”, but he’s saying there can’t be no cost either. Is it worth it?
  181. It’s been 4 storeys for over 20 years, says Snider of plans for that site.
  182. Patricia Kandel is the next speaker. A senior and retired physician concerned about seniors being moved onto Catholic Hill.
  183. Accessibility and equity for seniors the concern. All 4 streets to it up a hill. Difficult for seniors in any season.
  184. Insufficient parking for service people, medical professionals, delivery people, and visitors.
  185. Kandel says that low-income seniors will become prisoners in their own home once mobility becomes an issue.
  186. MacKinnon asks Kandel which matters more: saving $200/month with 75 Dublin’s issues, or not?
  187. Kandel says if public money’s going to be spent on a project, they should have a say in it. But yes, $200/month means a great deal.
  188. My clients have taken a strong position, says Heisey. There’s no caveat for a 4-storey building to be constructed there.
  189. Heisey says the official plan allows for a minimum of two storeys, but we’ve just been talking about 4 storeys.
  190. Heisey says a decision shouldn’t be made without more info on 2 storeys. Delay a decision till feedback on 2 and 3 storeys received.
  191. The trick is that the reason the pressure’s on here is because there’s moneys from the feds and province & construction needs to start now
  192. Brian Campbell says that he wishes some of the arguments previously brought to council could be heard again.
  193. Ian Flett of the Old Resident’s Committee, also favours deferring the decisions and follow the policies already passed.
  194. Flett says their something wrong with the process that we’re making this decision at 11:30 at night.
  195. Old City Resident’s Committee echoes UGDSB in deferring this decision.
  196. Wettstein points out that a deferral kills the affordable housing aspect. Flett says this is a very unusual way to go about a decision
  197. Allt asks who are the Old City Resident’s Committee?
  198. Parents of Central High, plus area of residents. Reinvigorated after dormancy b/c of this issue.
  199. Radcliffe says she is a senior, she’s on a fixed income, and this is her voice.
  200. 20 apartments for 20 years versus children and grandchildren’s future, says Radcliffe.
  201. Next up Anne Gajerski-Cauley of Community Car Share.
  202. Gajerski-Cauley says there’s something sacred about the space on Catholic Hill.
  203. Neighbours “try not to challenge the Basilica’s majesty, says Gajerski-Cauley.
  204. Gajerski-Cauley says the developer has a similar site on Wyndham S they could use, next door to another condo.
  205. Gajerski-Cauley says city’s being asked to violate rules so a developer doesn’t have to pay charges.
  206. “You are not responsible to make sure someone gets a return on his investment,” concludes Gajerski-Cauley
  207. Elbert van Donkersoed is up next. His home with his wife on Dublin was built in 1847. They’re against.
  208. “It is not built beautifully,” adds van Donkersgoed.
  209. Patrick Martin is now at bat. Does’t think the current proposal is a step in the right direction though he supports more affordable housing
  210. Martin says the benefits of the affordable units not = to the loss of the view on Catholic Hill.
  211. Chris Findlay says he has the temptation to say ditto, but has a couple of things to say.
  212. This is the pinacle, this is the height of Guelph, Findlay says, he’s had a # of close calls.
  213. There needs to be some safety issues addressed on that corner, says Findlay.
  214. Guthrie asks a motion to go past 12 am. Salisbury wonders about options though.
  215. Guthrie says there’s 15 ppl left. Says he’s up till 4 am every night anyways.
  216. Only 7 ppl voted in favour of motion to stay past 12 am. That means end of the meeting.
  217. Guthrie: Having a moment of consideration, but someone can move to suspend procedural bylaws. Then there can be a revote.
  218. All but Bell, Allt and Salisbury vote in favour to go back in time.
  219. Vote is 9 to 3 to continue past 12 am. Guthrie needs to take a break to confer with staff.
  220. A lot of disgruntlement about what just happened with procedure.
  221. Guthrie says there is legitimate concern about making decisions late at night.
  222. Guthrie is suggesting, on Salisbury recommendation, we finish the delegations, call a recess, then at November 30 meet…
  223. …Council will reconvene at 4 pm for debate before #GuelphBudget meeting at 6 pm.
  224. Guthrie says its the best compromise right now.
  225. No objections from council, so that’s how it’s going to be.
  226. Weiler is against the project: bad policy, bad for the kids, bad precedent, etc.
  227. What are we talking with affordable housing, Weiler asks.
  228. Weiler says this is a 20% “lop off” of an “arbitrary” price set by the CMHA. Plus, there’s no rent control here.
  229. Weiler says look how fast the Tricar units flew off the shelf. These are hot properties. Will these still be affordable after 20 years?
  230. Next up is Elizabeth McRae. She wonders how council expected to get through this huge agenda. She’s not alone.
  231. McRae strongly supports affordable housing, but not 75 Dublin.
  232. Seniors tend to develop physical limitations, she says. “Why are we contemplating spending $3M on Guelph’s highest hill?”
  233. Catherine Killen now up, speaking to compatibility of the development with the heritage needs.
  234. Central High was identified as a “sensitive area”, the playground is in a 7-storey shadow considering elevation.
  235. Killen wants the property removed from the fast track, and proposals for the land to be reconsidered.
  236. Lin Grist of @gwpoverty is next up. “I’m so cheerful, and I’m a senior” she joked.
  237. Grist wants to speak to the financial concerns. Those most in need are already out of the running.
  238. The developer is getting money from the public purse, says Grist, but they’ll make a killing when the AH provisions expire.
  239. Grist asks council if this was their own money, would they invest it in a project like this?
  240. Stephen Jones from Wellington Guelph Housing Committee is now up.
  241. He decided to abandon his papers, and Cdn Metal Health supports this project in principle.
  242. Jones hopes that council thinks about the human cost and not just the sight line and the dollar.
  243. Jane Londerville, also of Wellington Guelph Housing Committee. She’s also in favour. She’s in the demographic being targeted.
  244. Londerville says there are seniors in the neighbourhood that may want to downsize and stay local. 75 Dublin = ideal.
  245. Landerville notes that the money doesn’t “stay in our pocket” if the project doesn’t move forward, it goes elsewhere.
  246. Eric Lyon now talking. He’s the 10th to last speaker.
  247. Lyon is against the location, in favour of the development. Suggests instead a park at 75 Dublin called “John Lammer Park”
  248. Melissa Dean now is speaking to her disappointment in this process. An “inappropriate use of the most prominent real estate in the City”
  249. Dublin Street has become a “textbook” case of how not to do development, says Dean.
  250. “It feels so wrong to me on so many levels,” Dead says. The developer was originally looking at luxury condos. (per Trib interview)
  251. “An affordable housing trojan horse, and it worked” Dean calls it.
  252. Dean asks if it would be prudent for the city to buy such an important plot of land?
  253. Jennifer Jupp spoke to council a month ago about construction noise and how worried she was about the kids. Still worried.
  254. 20 units for 20 years, that’s really what this is hinging on, Jupp says. She wants to get behind it, but the building is too big.
  255. Twitter just had a brain fart, so I’ve missed a couple of things. Jupp’s point 20 units vs 1000s of kids.
  256. Mervyn Horgan speaking now. Supports affordable housing in principle and practice, but….
  257. …this is not the right kind of site for the density that the developer wants. Also, the UGDSB came out against it.
  258. Horgan asks council to visit the school before they vote. Stand in the school yard, and cross the intersection at Cork/Dublin.
  259. John Parkyn up next meaning we’re now in the final five.
  260. “Poppycock” Parkyn reaction to developers assertion that there’s no negative effect on heritage.
  261. Parker shows an artist rendering of 3 storey building, and it still mostly masks the Basilica.
  262. Now up is former city councillor Lise Burcher. She doesn’t envy the decision.
  263. Burcher says that Guelph did the hard work in approaching planning years ago.
  264. Burcher: Downtown 2nd plan was well-intentioned, well thought out. Build a successful foundation of what’s to be expected.
  265. Christine Main is now up, third to last speaker tonight. She’s a mother of four, that chose Guelph, and the Sunny Acres ‘hood to settle in
  266. Building this “monstrosity” is counter productive, says Main.
  267. Main says council didn’t hesitate to do the right thing with Nestle, why not here?
  268. Paul Pinarello says he wanted to live in Guelph because he didn’t want to live in Mississauga.
  269. Pinnarello says this will change Guelph for generations and he’s unsure if council gets that.
  270. Mary Tivy of Heritage Guelph is the final speaker.
  271. Tivy says that Heritage was not informed about staff’s recommendations, which I believe was mentioned earlier.
  272. Heritage Guelph is planning on naming Catholic Hill a heritage landscape under part 4 of Ont. Heritage Act.
  273. Incomplete information, Tivy says, concerning shadows and lighting impact.
  274. Guthrie asked if the vote was unanimous.
    It was 6-1.
  275. Guthrie asked if the vote was unanimous.
    It was 6-1.
  276. That’s it for delegations. Guthrie invites council to send Qs to staff through email, in-person.
  277. Guthrie asks Salisbury to make motion for council to establish Wednesday at 4 pm for the continuation of this meeting. Allt 2nds
  278. Council takes out 3rd bylaw which pertains to Dublin St, Salisbury moves the rest of the bylaw changes.
  279. Mayor announces he has a town hall later today at West End Rec Centre at 7 pm.
  280. Politico will be live blogging at least the #GuelphBudget meet Wednesday. Keep you posted about the 4 pm meet. Goodnight!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s